Monday, November 06, 2006

Turning of the Tables; Week 2 with the Hawks

I just had an entire entry deleted thanks to Microsoft Word, so now I am forced to write a much shorter, less in depth analysis of this weekend's activities. Well looking back to Saturday, upon finishing the booklets (shot charts for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd periods with the box score on top) of Northeastern's second loss, 3-1, of a home and home series with New Hampshire, I returned to the office and immediately jumped on the computer to check out the Bruins score...back to that in a minute. The Huskies and Bruins seem to be having similar difficulties establishing the right mindset this year. NU led 1-0 early and dominated all of the first period, only to wilt away in the second. Actually, it was only about a five or ten minute span that NU just completely melted down. One very minor defensive zone error turned into an ugly goal and a 1-1 game. That minor error and ugly goal quickly turned into two more goals and an eventual 3-1 UNH win.

Well, the B's were down 5-4, an odd score for the lowly B's, when I first looked. But I looked away, looked back and it was 5-5. I went up to the press box to clean, came down and it was 6-5. They will need a similar offensive outburst unless Thomas comes to play tonight.

Game 2 with the Hawks of the New England Senior Hockey League didn't go much better than game 1. Despite having a second line and facing a team with just one line, we still got smoked. I felt like I was just running around every zone the entire game, particularly the defensive zone. After winning much of the early faceoffs at center, I started to lose almost every one down the stretch. Some of their guys were definately pretty good players, but we should have been able to tire them down. I did score once. Nothing great. Season totals: 2, 0, 2 with a plus/minus of around -10. If I could play a game at even, I would be a lot more satisfied.

I found some logos from the teams of the NESHL. Our play seems indicative of the Sloths logo.

I also think I have confirmed the rumor regarding NESHL teams that carry with them handsomely dressed coaches, videographers, web designers and commitments to hold press conferences following games. The Labaat Blue Polar Beers, a "C" level team, one which we will likely be playing at some point, since we apparently have been dropped down to "C" after our uproarious start. At least we don't take it this seriously.


HOCKEY CARD NEWS:
I am asking for a scanner for Christmas. It will be a great asset for this site. Other than that...new release coming Wednesday, Nov 08, 06: 2006-07 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey. I'm not sure if it will be the first new set to feature Malkin or Kessel or not. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home