Friday, November 03, 2006

Niche Sports

I never thought I would say this in a million years, but I have grown to really enjoy and appreciate soccer. I guess it all started with my trip to Europe this past summer. I flew into Frankfurt, then traveled by train to Munchen, Praha and Berlin. I was in Berlin for the Italy vs. Germany game and I could just sense all the anticipation leading up to gameday, the preparation made around the city before and after the game and how everybody embraced the game and their team. That kind of passion, in any kind of contest in life, has to ignite that competitive nature within any true athlete or fan.

Following my trip, I started working in the sports information office at Northeastern University. I was given men's soccer as my sport to cover during the fall season. I wasn't thrilled at first, but as the season progressed and the team built some momentum (an all-time team record six-game winning streak), I really started to take a liking to the game, the team and all the players. I'm sure any reader would be able to tell by looking at my coverage on the Northeastern Athletics Website GoNU.com. After a tumultuous start to the season (0-8-1) in September, they somehow turned it around and made the playoffs. I traveled with the team down to George Mason in Virginia earlier this week for the semifinals. The team lost 1-0 , but it was still a fun trip. I got to talk to some of the players, I had a long chat with the coach, I went out to dinner and to a bar with the coaching staff and an admin and we had a good time playing 2 on 2 darts. And Everything was free. Plane ticket, hotel, food, drink. A nice fleece. I might have a future in sports information. And already, I can't wait until the 2007 Northeastern men's soccer season. Wow. Note: I saw some of the soccer guys out at Connor Larkins last night...one of them is dating a girl from my high school. Everyone is somehow connected to Westford.

Well, I think I might need a week or two or three off from the Bruins after last night. My brother, my girlfriend and I went to the game, moved up about 10 rows from our row 14 seats, and watched the B's play a dominating game for like 50 something minutes. They held a commanding 4-1 lead with a half a period to play. Then we left a little early so my bro could catch the last train. Final score: Buffalo 5, Bruins 4. And Coach Lewis somehow had the soul to say that there were positives to take out of the game. I'm sorry, but what more motivation does a team need in a game? There are no positives here. It happened AGAIN.

If they win every game up until the Wine Tasting, I'll consider going to the event and being a fan again.
P.J. Axelsson, Shean Donovan, Marco Sturm, Hannu Toivon are expected to be in attendance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home