Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Hoggan hurdles second cuts...one to go

As I was interviewing possible candidates for the fifth and final room in my apartment, one kid mentioned that he had a friend of a friend named Jeff Hoggan, who was trying out for the Bruins this season. This was not the selling point for my new roommate, one of the only people I did not interview in person because he was from Omaha, Nebraska. After all, there was a huge Sabres fan who needed a place...but he didn't drink, and every time we talked I felt less like I could watch the NHL full season package with him this year. Not that drinking is a requirement on my prospective candidate's resume, but I do find satisfaction in knowing that the person I will "shit, shave and shower" (as my father once said) in the same building with for at least a year might also find enjoyment in joining me at the bars for at least a Bruins game or 82.

So I did accept the Omaha native, Ryan Sullivan, a great guy. And it turns out his friend of a friend is Jeff Hoggan. It also turns out Jeff Hoggan REALLY is trying out for the Bruins, and not only that, he has earned his way through the first two cuts. I thought for sure he was gone after Monday's 12-cut reduction, but there he was still on the roster. I was surprised because if nothing else, I had never heard of him when RS mentioned it back on that first phone interview, and I had the full season NHL package last year. And more or less the last five or six years. But nobody is perfect.



Hoggan even turned up in the Globe article Hopefull Hoggan sticks to it today, so I got to learn a little more about the man. He is from Hope, British Columbia and believes that hard work and solid all-around play are both necessary to have success at any level. This is nothing shocking to hear but something you do want to here. A forth liner if he does make the team, Hoggan now has to beat out at least three of these guys to make the team I believe...Tenkrat-Mowers-Brookbank-Yan Stastny,-Petr Kalus...of those five guys and Hoggan, I think three will make up the fourth line. It seems to me that Mowers-Hoggan-? would be a solid trio...but I don't know too much about any of these guys.

I also just read that Hoggan will not be playing in tonight's game at Madison Square Garden. The starting fourth line will be Tenkrat-Mowers-Brookbank. That would mean Hoggan-Statsny-Kalus will probably start in the B's first home exhibition game at TD this Saturday. And, Jagr is not playing tonight for NY but will Saturday, thus making a trip to TD look like something worth while. I just have to find a way to snatch some cheap tickets.



I don't know what to take away from the TMB line starting tonight and the HSK line starting Saturday...but maybe the guys starting at home will be more pumped up.

If Hoggan makes the team, I think there might be a chance of RS and I scoring some tickets to a game or two. We might even score a North End dinner date with Hoggan and friends. Who knows. If I score anything I'll be happy. Maybe if Hoggan scores his second preseason goal on Saturday, that will solitify a fourth line spot.

I will definately be a little surprised if Hoggan makes the team. But what I am really shocked by is how many trading cards he already has out there. I might have to pick one up while they're still cheap. You never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home