Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A New Era In Sport

In just over a month, the Boston Bruins will officially begin a new era in the NHL. This new era will also be that of my adult life, during which I will spend a good portion of my time watching, writing about and analyzing my favorite sport and team. I was not around for Bobby Orr, and I was just putting on my skates for the first time when Cam Neely was unlacing his for the last. But I have seen the Bruins take on Teemu Selanne and the Winnipeg Jets. I saw a young Chris Pronger develop with Hartford Whalers. Unfortunately, it was my younger brother's birthday when my dad got tickets to see Gretzky and the Rangers. I was starting to get attached to Jumbo Joe and Sammy, but with the lockout and several startling trades over the past two years, the Bruins and the entire NHL are new to me. With this blog, I want to create an environment for analysis and discussion of the Bruins and also of the happenings in and around the National Hockey League and the worldly sport of hockey.

The upcoming season will be the second under the new collective bargaining agreement. The success of the this league will be measured with more scrutiny than the first go-around. It is the second season for superstars Alexander Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and Dion Phaneuf. It is the first full season for Boston without Joe Thorton and Sergei Samsonov since Jumbo Joe was selected first overall back in 1996. It is the first season that Zdeno Chara will lead the Black and Gold. Chara's prescence signifies more than just a big body but also a fresh start for one of the NHL's original six teams.

And starting today, it will be my first season as both a fan and blogger of the NHL, the Bruins and the world of hockey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home