Thursday, November 09, 2006

the girl of your dreams would never take you away from hockey...right?

In the mail bag of letters recently received by John Buccigross, ESPN hockey writer, was the letter below penned by a wife of a big-time hockey fan...

John,

I just had to respond to that letter from ex-hockey fan Mark. You said
"the girl of your dreams would never take you away from hockey."
Exactly.

Speaking from experience -- and my husband will vouch for this --
instead of taking you away from hockey, she'll get you Rangers tickets
for Valentine's Day so you could see Gretzky play before he retired.
She'll watch every game of the Stanley Cup playoffs (Bourque going for
the Cup was a compelling story, especially living in Boston). She'll
listen to you patiently, at midnight, when you get back from pickup
hockey -- late because the kids get the better ice times, which is as
it should be -- as you describe the sweet goal you got, low, stick
side. She'll start ordering the NHL Center Ice package for you,
watching all the games and understanding what offsides and backchecking
are. And finally, she'll start playing the game herself -- goalie if
you're really lucky -- so that you'll always have at least one net
filled at your scrimmages. (Besides, what better marital therapy is
there than firing slap shots at your wife?)

Anne
Minneapolis

I just filed for divorce and am now hitchhiking to Minnesota.


OK. As soon as I read this, I sent it to my girlfriend. I must say, through the ups and downs of our relationship to this point (11 months tomorrow), there have been mostly ups, and now in our first full season of hockey, I am seeing and playing more of my favorite past time than I have in years. I am covering Northeastern games. On Tuesday, I plan to travel to Providence to visit a friend and watch the Huskies take on the Friars. I have already seen two B's games. I am back into the collecting swing of things, having just recently picked up rookies of Rick Nash, Marcel Dionne, Illya Bryzgola (golla check that spelling) and Pavel Datsyuk on ebay for a combined $70 (minus $25 with ebay gift certificate).

While on the topic, I want to quickly mention NHL tough, hot-mouthed Sean Avery of the Los Angelas Kings and how well he is literally making out in life. Long considered no more than an AHL quality guy, he is now NHL quality and dating even out of his league.



Elisha Cuthbert, voted the second hottest woman with sports ties, is the Avery's biggest score for sure. But I'm sure he treats her a lot better than anyone else on the ice.



But most importantly, which brings us back to the letter, is that I am back on the ice for the first time since high school. That does not include a minor stint in Northeastern's intramural league, where I would too often decide to go out drinking rather than opt for the possibility of being outplayed by a girl. The NESHL gives me nearly 20 games and playoffs if we make it, and this time I feel like I am much more committed. The games are all on Sunday nights for our team, the guys are all pretty cool and Dinah spends the night with me.

After my first game two weeks ago, she congratulated me on my goal (low, just inside the post on a 2 on 1) and said that I looked like a pretty good hockey player who hadn't played in a while, which I think is a fairly good assessment. She provided good critique on the car ride home, but best of all, she really seemed to enjoy coming out to the rink, at 10:10 on a Sunday night, to see me play. And she came again this past Sunday. It's looks like it's going to be a routine for the next 15 or so weeks. Now I have to keep up my end of the bargain, to myself, and continue to run and workout, and eventually, play a decent two-way game that is non existant right now. Also of note: this is a metro Boston league, and although my roommate said I could use his car in most cases, I would be unable to get out to these rinks without D.

She's not die hard about any sports or teams yet, but she is willing and usually interested in going to any Bruins/Northeastern/NESHL game. Now, I don't think any hockey nut should be looking for a hockey chick (or puck slut), whatever you want to call it, right off the bat. That likely is not great long term material. But gradually, as you should with her dance performances and other activites, she should recognize and take an interest in your passion. That recognition and interest will come from "the girl of your dreams who would never take you away from hockey."

And hopefully, for your own sake and her sake, her recognition and interest isn't the only good quality she has to offer. As much as I love hockey, a well-rounded life is essential for my happiness and overall well-being, and right now it is safe to say she offers me everything I need in that kind of life. And I gladly attend all different social events, theater, art that she pursues.

Our second date, my idea, says it all. A bite to eat, a salsa class (one of my weekly at the time) and a game at the Garden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home