Sunday, December 03, 2006

NU completes essential sweep of Merrimack

The Huskies won the second of the home and home series at Merrimack last night, completing a very necessary four-point weekend. The difference in the quality of play between a UNH vs. Northeastern and a Merrimack vs. Northeastern game is astounding. The Warriors are slower, less skilled and not as solid on their skates. Thus, even without Mike Morris and playing their B-game at best, the Huskies won easily, 4-1 on Friday and 2-0 last night.

It was my first trip on a road hockey game, but I was all about helping out with stats. I brought my bulky camera with hopes I could get some pictures for this blog. I was actually shocked at how well I could focus in on the ice. And my boss gave me a tutorial - I learned how to use my Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10, 3.2 Mega Pixel digital. It's really not a bad camera, especially for the $120 price tag I found it for. The rink was also very small, but I must say, nicer and colder than I expected. It is definately reminiscent of a high school rink. Cold, small, with a max capacity of about 1200-1500.

Brad Thiessen stretches before stopping 30 shots in his first collegiate shutout.

Thiessen makes one of his tougher saves of the night, as Merrimack forward Mikey Rego, 8, winds up for a close range slapper.

Chad Costello weaved past a defender, cut back toward the middle, and then put home his own rebound. The Huskies celebrate their first of two goals.

Joe Vitale tries to sneak a wrap-around attempt past the Merrimack keeper.

Warrior captain Ryan Sullivan and Joe Vitale investigate the barrage of penalties being assessed after yet another post whistle scrum.

The Bruins, meanwhile, lost for the second time in a week to the Canes, 5-2. Apparently, the effort was there according to Thomas and Lewis, but a 5-2 defeat usually suggests a lack of something. Speaking of a lack there of,
Phil Kessel has been reduced to a role player instead of dangerous young talent. I agree with Dupont. If Kessel is on the bench, there will be less thrill on ice, and his maturation will only be delayed, perhaps forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home